The 3D Media Studio is Temasek Polytechnic’s newest Competency Centre set up in partnership with IM Innovations to provide the expertise to explore, develop, and promote 3D graphics and applications among industry professionals and students.
Officially launched on 30 September 2005 during the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between IM Innovations and Temasek Polytechnic, the 3D Media Studio established at Temasek Polytechnic, seeks to provide the expertise to explore, develop, and promote 3D graphics and applications among industry professionals and students.
The 3D Media Studio is also the venue for the MAXON ASEAN Authorised Training Centre for CINEMA 4D.
The key objectives of the 3D Media Studio are to:
- develop and enhance the manpower capabilities of students and industry professionals in 3D computer graphics and visualisation technologies in Singapore
- facilitate the transfer of 3D technologies, capabilities and competencies from leading global companies, to local and regional companies by positioning the Studio as a regional and global training school house
- be the focal point to develop and promote the benefits of using 3D computer graphics and visualisation technologies to schools and the industry
- offer consultancy services and facility to test and develop innovative 3D applications and projects
- develop new and enhance existing training curriculum for various 3D applications in different domain areas for industry and students
The Studio is equipped with 30 units of dual-processor capable 3D workstations powered by industry-leading state of the art AMD 64-bit Opteron processors. Sponsored by AMD in support of the 3D Media Studio goals, the capability to pool the computing power of these workstations via net rendering services within the Studio allows the scheduling and rendering of complex animation scenes.
One of the first projects of the 3D Media Studio was to support the Virtual Paper Napkin (VPN), an Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) supported programme to IM Innovations in support of their vision to promote and propagate 3D mindset and skillset amongst our students at an early age. Initially the team in the Studio, comprising lecturers from Temasek Polytechnic and staff of IM Innovations was focused on building customized 3D curriculum development, training and 3D mentorship programmes to students and teachers in the pilot schools. Besides enthusing students and teachers with Power of 3D visualization, the Virtual Paper Napkin training programme will lay the 3D foundation for young students, Singapore’s future creative professionals, engineers, and scientists.
IM Innovations and Temasek Polytechnic have a shared vision that 3D visualization is critical in today’s digital knowledge economy. The 3D Media Studio is envisioned to be the premier competency centre, the 3D lighthouse, for developers in Singapore and the region to pilot new and innovative development work relating to 3D technologies. To build our capabilities and achieve this goal, the Studio will continue to form strategic alliances with developers and technology providers to enable the continual transfer of leading 3D applications and 3D technologies.