Singapore History Alive with 3D! is a multimedia game-based teaching and learning solution package developed by IM Innovations. The solution lets users learn about Singapore’s heritage in a fun and interactive way. It is built based on the MOE social studies curriculum and consists of 3D educational games, animation videos, presentation slides and quizzes, seeking to re-invent traditional classroom methods with the use of 3D Interactive and Digital Media. It has been approved by eduLab@AST for its pedagogical benefits and has received SSOE Certification. Singapore History Alive with 3D! has been adopted to augment teaching material used for 250 primary school students in the entire Primary 4 cohort of Pasir Ris Primary School.
Singapore History Alive with 3D! brings users to a virtual environment when Singapore was a fishing village in 1819. Wandering around the fishing village, they will be able to encounter and engage with key historical figures like Singapore’s founding father, Sir Stamford Raffles or Sultan Hussein and the Temenggong of Johore, to learn about their contributions to Singapore. Users will also be able to explore Chinatown, Kampong Glam, Little India and Boat Quay and learn about the early settlers of Singapore.
Mr Justin Pierre Arul, principal of Pasir Ris Primary School, IM Innovations' project partner school, remarked: "It's hard for younger kids to appreciate history. With this project, history comes alive for them".
Key benefits of Singapore History Alive with 3D! include:
- It immerses students in a virtual environment to personally experience how Singapore was like in the past.
- It allows students to interact with key historical figures and engage in experiential learning.
- It is modular and flexible to suit different educators’ styles and approaches.
- It is able to facilitate a flipped classroom scenario.
- It can motivate and engage learners of various academic ability levels with different learning styles.
- It engages pupils in situated and experiential learning, which helps with retention of knowledge gained.
- It is available in multiplayer mode, allowing for collaborative learning to take place.
- It has the ability to test and measure the learning outcome after lessons through quizzes and mini-games.
- It is easy to deploy and use in MOE schools with their existing ICT infrastructure and equipment.
Singapore History Alive with 3D! in Pasir Ris Primary
Video trailer of Singapore History Alive with 3D!
How Singapore History Alive with 3D! was made using CINEMA 4D and Unity3D
Featured in Digital Life
Research Paper on solution presented at 63rd conference of ICEM 2013
User Experience – Video of Marsiling Primary School